Global search (Description, Comments)

Hi,
I think it would be usefull to have a option for searching the description and comment sections of all tasks in a list.

When using the search on a kanbanboard, only tasks with the keywords in the task-title are shown.

2 Likes

You mean an option in the filter popup? How should we handle this in the global search (if at all)?

I think it would be best, if this was added to the search popup (in the top bar on the magnifier-icon).

I think it would make sense to display all tasks containing the expression in the title first. After this all tasks with matched expressions in the comments or description could be displayed as a multi-lined Task.
The first line is the tasks title and the second/third line (maybe in italic and grey color) could be a preview of the matched expression in the context of the task (a few characters bevor and after the expression).

Something like this (popup after klicking the magnifier next to the alert-bell in the top bar):

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ search expression                                β”‚
β”‚                                                  β”‚
β”‚   you can use # to only search ...               β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚Tasks                                             β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚  Matched Task 1 (Tasklist)                       β”‚
β”‚  Matched Task 2 (Tasklist)                       β”‚
β”‚  Matched Comment Task (Tasklist)                 β”‚
β”‚   -this comment included the search expression-  β”‚
β”‚  Matched Deskription Task (Tasklist)             β”‚
β”‚   -description inclueded the search expression - β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
2 Likes

I like that idea, I think it makes sense.

1 Like

Hello, any active work being done on global search? :smiley:
I really love how Bookstack does it, and it would be amazing to have it similarly in VIkunja. The reason being - I have a lot of valuable information stored in Vikunja, and often we don’t remember the exact title of the issue it was associated with.

In case there’s no ongoing work, is this something I can help with?

Right now there’s noone working on it. There is an item in the backlog for it but it might not land in the next release.

If you feel up to it you could implement it and send a PR - but we should discuss the implementation details before jumping on something that might bite us in the future.

1 Like