Problem with Apache Proxy config

I’ve been trying to solve this strange issue in the past two days, but with no luck. Maybe someone else solved it already, or can point me in the right direction :slight_smile:

I installed Vikunja on a Debian 10 server with Postgres DB. By following the install instructions and using Nginx Proxy it worked immediately at first try, with no problems at all.

Then I decided to try the Apache server, and here I started having some issues.

On the first try I was always getting a blank page. After checking the errors in the browser console, I found that the server was not serving the content of the assets folders, nor the manifest.webmanifest file, so I added them to the rewrite rule in the apache vikunja.conf in order to have that content served directly from the frontend:

RewriteRule ^\/?(config\.json|favicon\.ico|assets|css|fonts|images|img|js|api|dav|\.well-known|manifest.webmanifest) - [L]

After reloading apache2 I could get the login page and everything looked fine: I could see al my tasks and work on them without any error in the console. Problem solved? Not completely, because every time I load the main or the login page I get this error in the browser console (domain redacted):

Vikunja frontend version 0.17.0+189-364d42b2b9
Error during service worker registration: DOMException: Failed to register a ServiceWorker for scope ('https://vikunja.domain.tld/') with script ('https://vikunja.domain.tld/sw.js'): The script has an unsupported MIME type ('text/html').
error @ index.365af209.js:18
s @ index.365af209.js:18
ab @ index.365af209.js:18
(anonymous) @ index.365af209.js:18
Promise.catch (async)
sb @ index.365af209.js:18
Promise.then (async)
ready @ index.365af209.js:18

I tried to find a solution on Google but I couldn’t find any. I’ve never used service workers so I do not understand what’s happening: it looks like the browser cannot register the Service Worker, but why? The same config works fine with Nginx. Maybe some RequestHeader missing in the Apache conf?

Hi!

It looks like you caught some outdated documentation. I’ve recently changed the way the frontend is built, and that changed some paths. Could you try this rewrite rule:

RewriteRule ^\/?(favicon\.ico|assets|audio|fonts|images|manifest\.webmanifest|robots\.txt|sw\.js|workbox-.*|api|dav|\.well-known) - [L]

If that works I’ll update the docs :slightly_smiling_face:

Works like a charm! All the errors are gone now even with the Apache server. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the quick solution.

BTW, awesome software!