How to start Vikunja (debian package)?

Note: Also asked in Matrix, but had no response for an hour so I’m asking here too

Using the .deb package (installed using dpkg), how do I actually start vikunja?
I thought that it’d automatically start, but when setting up the frontend, it couldn’t find the files because none had been generated
If I do sudo vikunja, it outputs

/usr/local/bin/vikunja: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

When you install Vikunja it should set up a systemd service which should automatically start and stop the api on system boot. If that doesn’t start, check the logs.

Can you explain that a little more?

I just figured out that it’s a service (vikunja.service), and when viewing the logs, it shows:

May 28 22:38:13 instance-1 systemd[1]: Started Vikunja.
May 28 22:38:13 instance-1 systemd[458850]: vikunja.service: Failed to execute /usr/local/bin/vikunja: Exec format error
May 28 22:38:13 instance-1 systemd[458850]: vikunja.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/local/bin/vikunja: Exec format error
May 28 22:38:13 instance-1 systemd[1]: vikunja.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
May 28 22:38:13 instance-1 systemd[1]: vikunja.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I assume this is related to the syntax error I got in the original post

Is there a download link or some way to reinstall the executable?

Which architecture are you using? The .deb package only supports x86 but you can download other binaries from https://dl.vikunja.io.

Ah, I’m not using x86
When running uname -m, I get aarch64
So does this mean that I just follow the directions from Install Backend | Vikunja instead?

I know that arm64/aarch64 is not that common, but I still suggest specifying that it’s not supported in the docs :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s correct. I’ll take a look to check if we can put the supported architecture in the package’s meta information so that you get a proper warning during the installation.

Edit: looks like it is already specified in nfpm but not propagated to the package?