How to host Vikunja locally on Windows 10 with Apache

Hi.

I’d like to ask how can I host Vikunja locally on personal PC with Windows 10 via Apache server? I mean as Kanboard software which is able to runs this way (Installation on Microsoft Windows Server - Kanboard Documentation in “Windows Server and Apache”). Is it possible to make the installation of Vikunja on Windows easy via Apache or use i.e. Laragon or another tool? I’m not so experiences with installation such tools, but I’ve managed to successfully install Kanboar via Apache on W10, so maybe installation process of Vikunja will not be so different. Docker doesn’t work on my PC and do not want to install it.

Thank you

Check out this post for general installation instructions for windows: Windows installation process for a noob

If you want to use apache, the general installation docs should work for windows as well: Installing | Vikunja

I don’t use windows nor have experience with it, can’t really help you there.

Maybe another option would be the wsl?

Thanks a lot, kolaente. Please, could you guide me to a more detailed procedure on how to install Vikunja with apache and after that with wsl? I’m newbie and I don’t know how to procedure. I have Laragon installed. How could I put Vikunja in there and run it? And what about wsl? I’ve tried “windows-installation-process-for-a-noob” and it works. But is is a litle clumsy…

If the installation process from the other posts works for you, that’s what you should do. It won’t get any easier, unless you use docker.

With wsl you should be able to use the general instructions for Linux for the api: Install Backend | Vikunja

@kolaente Yes, it works. But I’m afraid that it won’t be able to share it outside localhost. Could I ask how to run it with Laragon in more detail?

I’m afraid I can’t help you with Laragon as I don’t know anything about it.

If you want to be able to access it from the internet, I’d suggest you to go with a traditional Linux installation - if you need to learn either that or how to do it on a Windows server, Linux knowledge will probably benefit you more in the long run (but then again, I’m biased as I don’t use Windows at all).

1 Like