E-Mail new tasks to Vikunja to be added to lists

Hey all,

I just wanted to open a feature discussion about the option to make Vikunja process emails from IMAP/POP3 and add them to lists.

Would be a nice addition in my opinion and maybe help creating tasks (maybe also automatically).

What do you think?

Regards, Luca

Sounds like a great idea, would require a bit of complexity to avoid someone spamming that email address and thus creating way too many tasks.

Could filter out spam by ignoring all emails from email addresses not associated with a vikunja account?

That’s the least to do, yes. Another option would be to use a long random string as email, like discourse does it to reply to post comments. Maybe a combination of both.

I’d also like to see this. Is there a timeline for implementing it?

No timeline currently.

this would be a great feature.
One approach on this is offcourse to send a task via email.
Another approach is having Vikunja check a specific folder ini the user-set mailbox.
For instance: every 5 (or 10 or whatever) minutes, Vikunja checks te folder “todo” in my gmail, imports all unflagged mails in that folder and flag them.
Or another example: Vikunja checks the inbox in my gmaiil for flagged mails, imports them and moves them to e specified folder.

Both examples are inspired by the way Paperless and Paperless-NG works.

1 Like

+1 for this feature.

For GTD for example you would just forward or tag emails to action in your one “inbox” which lives in Vikunja.