Alphabetically sorting a list

Hello !

I’ve really been enjoying Vikunja. One of the reasons I use it is to make a grocery list with my partner without having to be in the same room.

But she had a good point on this : why can’t we sort list items alphabetically ? Let’s say we’re looking for “apples” in the list to uncheck it, but we added it after “tomates”, so we’ll have a hard time finding it.

Is there any way to achieve this ?

3 Likes

Currently, that’s not possible. The api supports it though so it would only require a frontend change.

As a workaround, you could manually drag the items in alphabetical order.

PRs welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

Pardon my ignorance, but by PR, you mean a push request ? Where can I do that ?

A PR is a pull request. You would need to send one in the code repo here: vikunja/frontend: Frontend Roadmap here: https://my.vikunja.cloud/share/UrdhKPqumxDXUbYpEGJLSIyNTwAnbBzVlwdDpRbv/auth - frontend - Gitea

1 Like

I can see the “new pull request” button but can’t click it o_O

You’ll need to login (create an account if you don’t have one or use github login), fork the repo, do your changes and then you can open a PR.

Thank you for explaining how all of this works. Unfortunately, I am by any means not a coder :frowning:

If somebody with the knowledge and the skill could do this, I would greatly appreciate.

1 Like

Hello @kolaente !
Hope you’re doing well.

I’ve been using Vikunja more and more and I love it. Again, thanks for your awesome job :slight_smile:

I’ve really been missing alphabetical sorting though. As I really know nothing about coding, I took a chance on reddit and asked for help. A kind soul answered me and is also interested in the feature.

You can follow our conversation here

We just started to work on this feature, but here we are :

• Only applicable to list view
  • The button could be placed under “Show done tasks”
  • It will act like the “Show done tasks” feature (browser session)
  • Possibility to move items disabled while sorted alphabetically
  • When adding an item while sorted alphabetically, it automatically reorders

What is your opinion on this ?

Here you can see new items being automatically sorted while alphabetical sorting is enabled

Looks awesome! Just replied in the thread on reddit.

1 Like

#1162 - feat/alphabetical-sort - frontend - Gitea - PR open

3 Likes