Lists, but not lists of tasks

I’m finding that as I use the Vikunja more and more I want to create regular (disposable?) lists that don’t necessarily have tasks associated with each item.

Things like a grocery or shopping list: I don’t want “tomatoes” to show up in my overview and I sure as heck don’t need Gantt chart for my trip to the supermarket.

I’m looking for a “simple” list where I might want to be able to check things off. Maybe an option to not integrate the “tasks” in a particular list with the grander structure of Vikunja.

Thoughts?

I’m using just the list view for my grocery list which works fine for me. But I’m not using the overview much, so it doesn’t really bother me if “tomatoes” show up there.

I think the idea to flag lists as “this list should be visible in the overview” is generally a good idea. Not sure if a custom filter would be better suited for that use case though. Not sure either how to implement that without adding yet another switch to change things.

Open for suggestions :upside_down_face:

I think the more appropriate word for this would be checklists: create a new task for shopping, and then check everything off as and when one purchases them.

1 Like

You can actually already do that. If you add a task description like the following (or a comment):

* [ ] Task 1
* [ ] Task 32
* [ ] Something else

It shows up like this and allows you to check off the checkboxes:

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

While this is a step up from nothing, there are two minor issues I have with this

1. The markdown doesn’t seem to render correctly (the bullet shouldn’t appear, it should only be the checkbox
  2. What I was looking for is something like what GitHub, for example, does.
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that link. I think it makes sense to render it like that, didn’t know GitHub was doing it differently.

1 Like

Can this be made into a feature request?

(Right now, I am using Vikunja for tracking my revision. Having a checklist can really help keeping track of my doubts)

Sure! Added to the backlog. I plan some things with the editor in general, this would be part of that.

2 Likes

I’ve just pushed two commits (2691a84610 and e17116dac1) that make checklists work with - and remove the bullet points from the rendered output. I plan to add a summary in task lists next. Reordering or mentions is a lot more difficult, hence I won’t start working on it until the editor is reworked.

@mon What else are you looking for from the way Github does it?

2 Likes

A big, bug feature I would love is the summarising details i.e. x tasks done out of y along with a little svg icon to show the same in a pie chart.

Like the thing I’m adding in this PR?

Precisely, thank you so much!

1 Like

The PR just landed in unstable. CI is in the process of releasing a new unstable release, should take ~30min. Please test once the new version is out.

Checklist does not work in comments.

Mark or unmark:
2021-11-23_05-29-48

The browser freezes.

UPD. Sorry, the problem occurs with save after change any comment.

Are you hitting this: #1055 - page freezes when editing a comment with bullets - frontend - Gitea

It would be a lot nicer if there was just an “add list button” in the right hand menu of the task and then an easy button to add items to the list, pretty much like how planka and/or trello do it. Markdown is great, but it’s a major pain when you remember you forgot to add a couple items to the list and you are trying to get them on their on your phone before you forget about them again.

Once we’ll finally get around to improve the editor we will have a button there to easily add these lists.

I know it’s a tough ask for a timeline, but do you have any inkling of a timeline for that? There is this and a couple of weird things that happen on mobile that are keeping me on a competing product despite the awesome additional features in vikunja.

It wont be included in this release but in the one after that - right now our priority is to fix all the remaining bugs and then put out the release.

What other weird things do you mean? (you can also send me a PM or open a new thread as that’s kind of off-topic here)