Importing from Microsoft Todo for more than one user

Hi,

I have managed to activate the importing function for MS Todo and I have also managed to get the credentials from MS Entra and have added them to the config.yml file.

My issue is that I have two users that I need to migrate and one additional admin account. I created credentials for the admin account and the migration process works more or less as expected (other than that there is nothing to migrate in the admin account). I was expecting to be able to migrate the two actuals users from there as well. But that does not work: I only have access to the admin account’s todos.

So I created another set of credentials for one of the users, replaced the credentials in the config.yml file, stopped the Vikunja container, recreated it and went to the Vikunja migration page. But when I get redirected to the MS login page, again my admin account is preselected (and I can’t switch to my user account).

Why does Vikunja not respect the changed credentials (I’m assuming it doesn’t and this is the reason why I get redirected to log in with my admin account instead of the user account associated with my changed credentials)?

Thanks!

Hi, without knowing how Vikunja handles this internally, it’s a very common theme with Azure AD (sorry, Entra ID, can’t get used to that). I recommend trying in a private browser session. At work, I have three Entra ID accounts (more or less privileged ones) and use three different browsers for them.

You are right. On a hunch, I just tried that and I was not presented with a pre-selected account but was able to freely enter my user account email address and authenticate to it.

Strangely, this totally ignored my Entra credentials.

On a separate note, while I was told that everything was being imported, after about 10 minutes there still is nothing in my Vikunja account (and I don’t have so much in my MS Todo account that it could take more than a few minutes).

Hi,

I have managed to activate the importing function for MS Todo in Vikunja and I have also managed to get the credentials from MS Entra and have added them to the config.yml file.

My issue is that I have two users that I need to migrate and one additional admin account. I created credentials for the admin account in MS Entra and the migration process works more or less as expected (other than that there is nothing to migrate in the admin account and so I don’t know whether the actual import would work). I was expecting to be able to migrate the two actual users from there as well. But that does not work (as the credentials only give me access to the admin account’s data and not to the actual user acounts’ data. That’s okay, I guess).

I created another set of Entra credentials for one of the users, replaced the credentials in the config.yml file, stopped the Vikunja container, recreated it and went to the Vikunja migration page. When I then get redirected to the MS login page, the Entra credentials are ignored and I go through the normal MS authentication process (where I have to enter my normal login info and then click on a number in my MS Authenticator on my mobile as a second factor). So the login seems to work (albeit not as expected via the MS Entra credentials).

Vikunja then tells me that it is going to import my data from Todo but that does not happen. Even after half a day nothing has arrived in my Vikunja account.

Am I missing anything?

The way the import is set up is you’ll only need credentials once on the server, as a “provider” using Microsofts oauth api. That means, users will need to log into their Microsoft account after starting the migration in Vikunja, and Vikunja will then use the api keys exchanged during that process. I don’t know anything about Entra ID in that regard, it will only use the context of the user logged in when you granted Vikunja access to the data.

If the migration did not work, there should be an error message in the logs about it.