How to access the CLI & set Timezone

Hi,

thanks again for your amazing work. I just upgraded to Vikunja 0.17 and wanted to verify the version. I found the CLI commands in the documentation, but i didnt find the right place to run these commands. (I tried executing the command in the docker api container, but it didnt work :confused: )

Also, i want to set the timezone correctly since the default is not working out. I created a config.yml inside the vikunja directory (where my docker-compose.yml is located). Inside that file i wrote:

timezone Europe/Berlin

If thats correct how do i apply this? do i need to restart the containers?

Edit: Also please note that the link to the default config in the documentation is offline:
Page Not Found - api - Gitea (kolaente.dev)

In docker you’d need to run something like docker exec -it <vikunja api container name> /app/vikunja/vikunja <vikunja subcommand> or with docker compose: docker-compose exec api /app/vikunja/vikunja <vikunja subcommand>

Since you’re running with docker, I’d suggest you to use env variables for the configuration of the container. For the time zone that would be setting an env variable VIKUNJA_SERVICE_TIMEZONE="Europe/Berlin" on the api container config. There should already be some configuration for the database if your config is based on the docker-compose examples from the docs.
After you’ve changed the config you will need to restart the container.

You could also add a config file which you would then need to mount at one of the config file locations into the container.

You only need to specify the config variables which are different from the defaults.

The default config is here, I’ve just pushed an update to the docs to fix the references.

1 Like

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I was able to execute commands thanks to your help :slight_smile:
I set the Timezone through my compose file, since i dont want to set it again after an update.
Is this correct?

api:
environment:
VIKUNJA_SERVICE_TIMEZONE: “Europe/Berlin”

I also want to use the Mailing function, can i also write that stuff into my compose file?

The timezone config key looks correct to me :upside_down_face:

You can configure everything through the compose file with env variables.

You mean, you don’t want to restart the container after changing the value?

1 Like

Superb :smiley:
When i recreate the containers (for example when you release a new version) i don’t want my config to be lost. I restarted them already to apply the changes.

I will try to set up the mailing function next week :slight_smile:

If the config is on the container (or persisted in a mounted config.yml) it won’t get lost when switching containers as long as you don’t remove that config :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I want to use your vikuinja dump command in my api as a backup-tool. If i run the command inside the docker container it creates an emtpy file and gives me the error → configration file not found

Can i solve this error by docking a config file on my api container? If so, can you give me a hint please how to do this? I can probably mount it myself, but i don’t know how to mount it in a specific path.

How are you executing it? The cli should use the same configuration as the rest of the app.