Help Exporting Data

I run Vikunja on my RaspberryPi via Docker/Portainer. It is not connected to the exposed web, just over my network. I want to backup my data, however when I go to settings to export the data, the email with the .zip does not arrive.

Can I backup my data without exposing my ports?

It should be possible to export your data without the ports exposed. If the email does not arrive, check if email sending works at all, with the vikunja testmail command and then go from there.

If you want to back up your whole instance vikunja dump is probably easier.

Thank you. I was able to preform the vikunja dump command successfully, however I am pretty new at self hosting, and am unable to locate where docker saved the dump on my Raspberry Pi. Is it possible to designate a path to save the dump or a usual directory?

Thank you again. Love the product and want to fully move away from OmniFocus, but the backup situation is the last thing I need to solve before going all in. Beggers cant be choosers, but I would love a feature to download a backup from the browser rather than having it emailed.

Once you requested an export, you should be able to download it from the browser at /user/export/download. Exporting may take a long time, that’s why it happens asynchronously in the background and sends an email when done so when you don’t wait for the mail you’ll need to check the logs to be sure the backup was fully created.

The backup will be saved to Vikunja’s base folder so in the docker container in /app/vikunja I think. To get it out there you need to manually move it to a volume accessible from the host and then access it from there.

/user/export/download/ was just what I was looking for!!!

Thank you so much!!! I can’t wait to move everything over from OmniFocus now. You have created a wonderful gift to the world with this app!

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much!

Would it be possible to export and import tasks on a per-project basis?

So if I have a certain project that has a timeline and I have set up a skeleton, I can then just import this and change the dates without having to re-enter everything, without having to access the database (MySQL/SQLITE etc).

Right now that’s not possible. We plan to add project templates in the future though, which will provide functionality similar to what you’re looking for.

1 Like