Disable Registration and User management

Hello,

I recently discovered this app and am liking it so far! I am playing with it on a raspberry pi 4 using docker and was able to stand up the stack just fine.

Now that I have it running, I am stuck with trying to configure a few things.

How do I properly disable registration? I found some documentation here and tried adding an environment variable to my compose file like this:

api:
    image: vikunja/api
    environment:
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_HOST: db
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_PASSWORD: secret
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_TYPE: mysql
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_USER: vikunja
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_DATABASE: vikunja
      enableregistration: false

but that didn’t seem to help. I moved it around to different parts of the compose file and it didn’t seem to change anything. I also created a config.yml in the same directory as the compose file and put in the following:

service:
  enableregistration: false
  # The time zone all timestamps are in. Please note that time zones have to use [the official tz database names](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones). UTC or GMT offsets won't work.
  timezone: America/New York

to see if that did anything but it didn’t. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong with the configuration?

Also, is there no admin account in the GUI? Would you have to exec into the DB container to delete users?

Hi!

Environment variables are a bit different than the values from the config file as you need to provide the full path. The docs here have a bit more information about that.

You could also create a config file and use that instead of environment variables, but you’ll have to mount it in the container in a location where Vikunja looks for it so it will be picked up. Simply placing it next to the docker compose file won’t work.

To manage users, you should use the cli. An admin GUI will come eventually.

1 Like