Task Dependencies

Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but is there any way to create dependencies between tasks? I see that you can add relationships between tasks, but it seems to stop at describing the tasks.

What I’m hoping to do is:

1. display tasks on my gantt view
  2. so it’s clear what tasks need to be done first
  3. so it’s clear that if a task is delayed, what other tasks will be delayed as a result
1 Like

Right now the relations are only descriptive. For the Gantt chart, you’ll need to change the dates to make it visible these tasks follow each other.

IIRC there’s an item in the backlog to make it possible to enforce a relationship between tasks, so that you can’t complete one taks without completing another, related task first. Is that what you had in mind? Or are looking more for a way to “lock” tasks together so that if you modify the end date of one task the locked task will change its start date accordingly (and make that relation visual in the Gantt chart)?

More of that second one, where modifying the end date of one task moves the start date of another task. Theoretically, there are a number of other behaviors that become necessary when you do that e.g. do you keep the length of the task the same and move the end date, or do you keep the end date where it is? What if that affects another task, what rules does it follow?

2 Likes

Hello!! I love Vikunja - thank you so much for all your hard work. There is only one thing missing for my workflow and it is what @kolaente mentioned above – basically tighter task dependencies.

I understand that currently the task relations are descriptive only, but it would great if they could do the following: (1) task a is a blocker for task b so task b cannot be marked as completed until task a is completed and (2) being able to lock the tasks in a “finish to start” way where if I modify the end date of task a, the start date of the dependency will also shift. Being able to move dates both forward and backward and have that visually represented in the Gantt chart.

Please, please add these features. I would be ecstatic. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello!

I was wondering if there is any development/progress going on around this feature? Its the number one issue that prevents me from integrating your great tool into my workflow. Happy to contribute inputs around the dependency rules such a feature would need to follow.

Also, related to this, it would probably be helpful to create tasks with specified duration only (instead of a defined start and end date). Or is this something that is already possible?

Thanks for all your work!

1 Like

I agree, this is important and in my opinion one of the critical things missing. This doesn’t stop me from using it but it would be great if we had it.

Currently, no progress has been made as other features were prioritized. Could you describe the use-case which you’d need that feature for and any workarounds or other tools you’re currently using in more detail?

Is it possible to have task dependencies especially in the gant view?

For example if you have task 2 which is a follow up of the end date of task 1.
And if you change the begin and end date of task 1 that you have an option to move task 2 also, so the start date of task 2 still will be at the end date of task 1.