Docker-Compose Installation Assistance | Email reminders not working

Hello,

I am following this video for installing Vikunja. I seem to be having issues with the mailer not working. Using the testmail command gives the following output

2023/08/27 03:05:08 No config file found, using default or config from environment variables.
2023-08-27T03:05:08.198289119-04:00: INFO       ▶ cmd/func10 001 Sending testmail...
2023-08-27T03:05:08.198574733-04:00: WARNING    ▶ mail/SendTestMail 002 Mailer seems to be not configured! Please see the config docs for more details.
2023-08-27T03:05:08.198590301-04:00: INFO       ▶ cmd/func10 003 Testmail successfully sent.

The docker-compose file is from the link > Setup Vikunja using Do... | The Homelab Wiki

I feel like its not grabbing the set env variables that is set in the docker compose for some reason. Any assistance is appreciated. I am new to linux and docker

Can you share your config? How are you running the testmail command?

I use the command like vikunja testmail email

Config below,

version: '3'

services:
  db:
    image: mariadb:10
    command: --character-set-server=utf8mb4 --collation-server=utf8mb4_unicode_ci
    environment:
      MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: supersecret
      MYSQL_USER: vikunja
      MYSQL_PASSWORD: secret
      MYSQL_DATABASE: vikunja
    volumes:
      - ./db:/var/lib/mysql
    restart: unless-stopped
  api:
    image: vikunja/api
    environment:
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_HOST: db
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_PASSWORD: secret
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_TYPE: mysql
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_USER: vikunja
      VIKUNJA_DATABASE_DATABASE: vikunja
      VIKUNJA_SERVICE_ENABLETASKATTACHMENTS: 1
      VIKUNJA_SERVICE_ENABLEREGISTRATION: 1
      VIKUNJA_SERVICE_ENABLEEMAILREMINDERS: 1
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_ENABLED: 1
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_FORCESSL: 1
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_HOST: smtp.gmail.com
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_PORT: 465
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_USERNAME: mygmail@gmail.com
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_PASSWORD: mygmailpass
    volumes: 
      - ./files:/app/vikunja/files
    depends_on:
      - db
  frontend:
    image: vikunja/frontend
  proxy:
    image: nginx
    ports:
      - 8022:80
    volumes:
      - ./nginx.conf:/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf:ro
    depends_on:
      - api
      - frontend

Gmail might need a different auth type: Possible bug in SMTP email sending on docker image - SOLVED - #2 by kolaente

Ah okay, I think it seems to be working now with the replies on that post. I ended up doing

VIKUNJA_MAILER_FORCESSL: 0
VIKUNJA_MAILER_PORT: 587
VIKUNJA_MAILER_AUTHTYPE: plain

and using command

docker exec -it vikunja_api_1 /app/vikunja/vikunja testmail myemail@gmail.com

and it sent the test mail. The tasks doesnt seem to show up though. I think the time zone seems not correct. I set a reminder for 10m from when I set it and once it went overdue it said it was due 4 hours ago. I have set the variable for VIKUNJA_DEFAULTSETTINGS_TIMEZONE to America/New_York but it still seems off. Any thoughts?

Did you set a reminder or a due date?

What did you configure as your own time zone? (in the user settings)

I set both

The same, I had US/Eastern before, before it was on GMT I didnt notice but then I switched it to US/Eastern and then to America/New_York to match

Can you enable debug logs and check the logs around the time you’re expecting the reminder to be sent?

Apologies for waking this oldish thread, but I am having similar issues using Microsoft 365 for email notifications. I think we need a better guide for setting up email which can cover some of these common pitfalls.

I know my configuration can work because I use smtp-mail.outlook.com for other internal services, but haven’t yet been able to make it work with Vikunja.

I found a couple of errors in the logs which, based on other threads here, led me to turn off forcessl and set the auth type to “login”. Those aren’t what I would have expected since as far as I know Microsoft SMTP definitely requires starttls. Anyway, I no longer see any errors in the logs but no emails are sent.

Does anyone have a reference to a more comprehensive write up, especially if it talks about O365 specifically?

Thanks.

Using the testmail command, does it appear as if the mail was sent successfully?

Apologies, I do have this working now. My test was insufficient. I was expecting an email when a task is assigned but that seems not to be a feature. I am now receiving emails for reminders. Microsoft 365 mailing does work with the following settings.

VIKUNJA_SERVICE_ENABLEEMAILREMINDERS: 1
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_ENABLED: 1
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_FORCESSL: 0
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_HOST: smtp-mail.outlook.com
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_PORT: 587
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_USERNAME: xx@xx.xx
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_PASSWORD: xx
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_AUTHTYPE: login
      VIKUNJA_MAILER_FROMEMAIL: xx@xx.xx
1 Like