AI-assisted draft for discussion — not a spec to merge.
The issue I am attempting to resolve:
Subtasks work great in the web app and are readable via ?expand=subtasks, but the API can’t create or reparent them: the Task payload has no writable parent_id, and there’s no subtask endpoint.
I’m building automations (with IFTTT and AI agents) that author hierarchical tasks — breakdowns, capture into lists, tickets-with-steps. Some of this is for easy access for special needs persons.
Read-only isn’t enough; I need to set a task’s parent at creation and move it later.
Proposed: a writable parent_id on create/update, mirroring how bucket_id already works as a move field:
POST /api/v1/projects/{id}/tasks
{ “title”: “Design phase”, “parent_id”: 42 }
POST /api/v1/tasks/7
{ “parent_id”: 99 }
MVP: reject parent cycles, enforce write access on the target parent, and default ordering among siblings. Everything else (whole-subtree reparent, cross-project) is a follow-up — not needed for the core use case.
Questions:
Is this on the roadmap, or should the subtask relationship stay UI-only?