Move lists between namespaces?

Hey. New user to Vikunja. I realize that I can move tasks between lists fairly easily, but is there a way to move lists between namespaces? I started off creating everything under a single namespace, but as I realized the need for more organization, I wanted to move some of my lists under a more appropriate namespace, organizationally speaking.

Is this something that can currently be done?

Thanks.

1 Like

That’s something that’s currently not implemented.

PRs welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

I mean, I accomplished what I needed to by changing one field in the database. I’m no good with web development, but in backend stuff, I’m fairly competent.

I think having this makes sense though - I’ve added that to the backlog.

+1, seems a very handy feature (having the same issue myself, now let’s see that backend - hope not to mess anything)

EDIT: seems I haven’t messed it up! Just had to publish the database port in my docker-compose and then I could access the DB in my external editor and change the namespace_id value.

This was one of the first task I tried to complete during my tests. I found a quick way, maybe many of you use the same trick, I just copy the list in the new namespace and delete the first one.

I know this is not a clean solution and maybe a possible cause of cluttering for the DB, but it works for me, while waiting for a more robust solution.

+1 for this feature.

+1 for this feature also.

Same problem, landed here, but right now it can solved by duplicating the list into the new namespace and then deleting the original.

Does this copy over all tasks, comments, attachments, everything?

I can confirm tasks, description and comments, I presume this should extend to all the rest as well.

This will be solved by the removal of namespaces in the next release (projects / lists will be infinitely nestable). You can already try this in the current unstable build or on try.

If I’m currently on

Frontend Version: 0.20.5
API Version: v0.20.4

What do I need to consider before upgrading to unstable builds if I decide to do so? Does there exist the danger of data loss when upgrading from an unstable build to another unstable build?

Using unstable builds always has a higher risk of data loss and bugs. It is generally usable and I’m using it for my own instances. If you go down that route, you should have a good backup strategy in place and be prepared to update more often.