More hotkeys in the UI

I would love to get more UI Hotkeys. These are the ones I came up with:

Taskview:

• x to open the delete dialog for this task
  • s to open a dialog for a new task that has the current task as parent task (basically creating a subtask)

General:

• ? to show the hotkeys modal (clicking ? again closes it)
  • Strg+ to open a dialog to quickly create a new task in default list (I’m not sure which hotkey would be the best…)

Improved List Navigation:
- Currently gn goes to the list view. We could advance this by allowing for a number prefix of this to then go to this specific list.
- So 1gn goes to the first list in your namespace
- 25gn goes to the 25. List
- The same is applicable for Favorites and even for the tasks in a list (3gf goes to the 3. favorite, 5gt goes to the 5. task, …)
- But maybe start with the Lists :wink:

This sounds like a nice idea. These hotkeys are relatively simple to add (for example here is the setup for the “t” shortcut to mark a task done), do you want do send a PR?

I can try.
It won’t be this week, but I’ll try to build Vikunja and then try to implement this :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

+1 on this request:

1. ? to see the shortcuts dialog
  2. F4 to highlight the “add task” input field when you are in a list view
  3. Ctrl+n to open the “add task” dialog. You could automatically add the +list_name if you are in a list view

Also,
When you are in the command dialog, I would like to be able to search by list name, to switch to that view. And having the top 5 recent searches on top would be super helpful too!

You can already use Ctrl+K to open quick actions which allow you to create a task with quick add magic.

This should happen automatically when opening the list view.

I assume you are referring to the Ctrl+n?

While it’s great to be able to get to it from the command menu, I just think it would be even better if it has a direct shortcut, given the fact that it’s probably the most common command/action in the application.

On F4, you are correct, the hotkey is in case it lost focus. I just picked F4 as it is the hotkey in most browser to focus on the search/address-bar.

Okay, so it should open the quick action modal with the “New Task” action preselected?

I think we should try to avoid adding shortcuts that use keys already used by browsers.