Getting 412 trying to create user

I created a new local instance of Vikunja running in docker using the Docker Walkthrough setup. The app starts up, the database starts and the UI is available. The api/v1/info endpoint returns my config and shows registration_enabled as true. However, when I try to create an account, I get back a 412 error. Why is this happening?

What does the error message say?

The post gives me 412 (Precondition Failed), while the UI displays “Invalid Data”

What is the server response? It should contain a message explaining what the problem is. You can check the raw response with dev tools (open the dev tools, go to the network tab, then try to register and check the request you’re seeing)

It just said precondition failed. Further testing seems to tell me my password wasn’t long enough, or maybe didn’t have enough different types of characters - not sure, didn’t see any requirements around passwords

A password must be at least 8 characters.

If your password is too short, the api response should look like this:

I agree the UX isn’t great on this, I’ve added an item to the backlog to improve it.

Ahh, it’s in the body, of course, my bad, was just looking at the status code. Problem solved, thanks for the help