Disable Pride logo

How do I ensure I do not get the pride logo on my instance to come up?

There’s no way to disable it.

Why do you want to disable it?

3 Likes

Why would I want it? I have no desire for these virtue signalling logos, nor do I care to have it in my software. Why include it? And why is it not on your frontpage if you are so adamant about it.

1 Like

Why would you want politics to be pushed against the will of the people?

#make-vikunja-based-again

1 Like

Agreed this should not be in the software.

If you use uBlock Origin you can right-click anywhere on the web interface, and add this filter:

##.logo-link > .logo > path

Option needed to disable political symbols i.e. LGBT flag.

Going the VLC route might be good

1 Like

Hello team,

first of all, I really love Vikunja and I use it for my team a lot and we’re happy with it, until you forced your propaganda pride flag upon all instances even locally hosted ones!

Whether I support pride or not, I should not be forced to participate in its shenanigans. I am in a conservative country and this flag is putting red flags all over me, especially to my clients who access our lists!

If Vikunja supports pride, that’s their business but why force it on everyone’s self-hosted instances?

Please fix the issue and spare us from future mental illness flag changes :clown_face:

Thank you.

3 Likes

I noticed in the in-app Vikunja icon now has a pride flag behind it. Is there a simple way to disable this via configuration, or will I have to fork the code in order to get the normal icon back?

Same issue here mate. Political symbols should be removed, quite frankly it’s shameful there is no option to opt out of virtue signalling.

4 Likes
1 Like

First of all, supporting minorities should not be controversial.

The fact that this flag started such a reaction over the past few days shows that queer people still aren’t treated as an equal part of our society, as they should. I personally know several people who got in trouble by other members of the society just because of who they fell in love with or how they identify.

With a community of more than a handful of people, we can see it as a given fact that some of us will have been affected as well.

For me, the idea of open-source-software already is part of the political philosophy to treat people equal. Income should not define your possibilities, neither should your sexual identity/gender/race/religion/etc. And this extends to the community. A community around an open-source project should be welcoming for everyone, especially those who might not be welcomed by other communities.

In a perfect world, we would not need a Pride Month because everyone would be treated equally, and we wouldn’t need to have this conversation.

However, I understand there are places in the world where showing a Pride flag will do more harm than good to the people showing it or, in our case, hosting Vikunja publicly. For those cases, I’ve just added an option to disable icon changes instance-wide with a config option for the frontend. You can use the VIKUNJA_ALLOW_ICON_CHANGES env variable in the docker container or ALLOW_ICON_CHANGES in the index.html file. Please note this is only in unstable for now.

I hope most of you don’t use this feature and help us to become the open-minded community we all deserve.

5 Likes

Giving us our right to choose is appreciated!

Free and open source software should be free from political messaging. Respect the rights of others which do not appreciate propaganda, no one here has a problem with the alphabet soup, we only have a problem with the forceful activist move to push politics where it is inappropriate.

Ironically, you unequally promote one group above the other and then say: “shows that queer people still aren’t treated as an equal”.

Stay based people.

3 Likes

Patch not working with docker-compose.

Image:

unstable: Pulling from vikunja/frontend
Digest: sha256:4173352dce4105470d2992253ae04250b8803bd14873850af9be6d20b9949d60
docker.io/vikunja/frontend:unstable
  vikunja_frontend:
    container_name: vikunja_frontend
    image: vikunja/frontend:unstable
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      VIKUNJA_ALLOW_ICON_CHANGES: "false"

Result, LGBT flag still shows.

1 Like

@kolaente I appreciate that you care about minorities and equality, and I also appreciate that you are willing to add that environment variable that allows us to have more control over the look & feel of our instances.

I think if the pride flag and pride month were purely a matter of supporting minorities and equality, you would have seen a different response. However, we have reached a point in culture where for certain communities, flying the pride flag is equivalent to professing allegiance to a specific set of ideologies, a worldview, that comes with a lot of extra baggage. I understand that this may not be what the flag means to you, but we live in a diverse society where different symbols mean different things to different sub-cultures.

Unfortunately, with this sort of software, it is not clear to users whether the flag was put there by the system administrator or the developer, and so it could reflect badly on the system administrator, not because the users hate minorities or don’t want equality in principle, but because they don’t support all of the other baggage that it has become associated with.

I hope this distinction helps, and I appreciate your quick response.

I don’t know if this is something you would ever consider, but having things like this be opt-in instead of opt-out would make me much more comfortable recommending this software to others in the future. If you are willing to change the icon to show support for certain causes, I have no idea where that could lead in the future and what causes you will decide to support, and I’d hate for someone that I recommend the software to to be confronted with icons that they find offensive or distasteful. I’m not specifically referring to pride here, just the concept that by default, users of your software are going to be subject to seeing icons that support whatever cause you personally believe in, regardless of your user base and their personal views. Just food for thought. I understand if you see it differently on a philosophical level, we all have different approaches and motivations for making software.

For now, the environment variable will resolve my concerns for my current instance.

1 Like

Raised a PR to fix: #3567 - Fix allow icon changes - frontend - Gitea

I like it. I’ll keep this logo as long as possible!

Its a shame we still have to wave the flag. Unfortunatly, as a minority group, i still face the racism every day. people say “ohh i dont mind the gays” but what they really mean is “i dont mind the gays as long as they act straight in public.”

same goes for trans people and others alike. As long as we all act like the white straight man everything is okay. and thats why the flag is still needed.

4 Likes

Forcing the logo is kind of obnoxious and results in the opposite of its intended effect. There should be an option to upload your own logo.

I don’t like the logo in general, rainbow or not. I’m only using Docker for the API. So, on the frontend, I simply hid the logo entirely by adding this to index.html:

<style>
a.logo-link, svg.logo {
    display: none !important;
}
</style>